Friday, August 3, 2012

The Nature Of Jade by Deb Caletti

The Nature of JadeThe Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Nature Of Jade by Deb Caletti is an interesting book to read. The characters aren’t shallow but deal with (some serious) problems. It was the first book I’ve read that dealt with Panic Disorder and I found it very interesting. The disorder isn’t new to me, but to actually read how Jade experiences it is definitely interesting. Then there’s Sebastian who has Bo and as Jade gets to know him (them) better, the reader finds out Sebastian has made some ‘bad’ choices but in the end, those choices also seem the best he could do. Sometimes people do stupid things but with the best of intentions and/or because they can’t see any different way to go about it. I think this is somewhat what The Nature Of Jade is all about.

The book holds a lot of info on animals (the quotes at the start of each chapter) and then especially on elephants. I don’t think I’ve ever read as much about elephants as I did while reading The Nature Of Jade, yet, all of it made sense and seemed to add to the story. I didn’t mind it at all.

Another bonus to this story is the writing style. I truly enjoyed reading this book, especially because of the words, the tone, the remarks. After Jade first talked to Sebastian, I found myself smiling so hard; Jade’s happiness felt so real and this is something to complement the author about. The emotions in the story were written in such a way that they felt absolutely real, something I definitely missed in some of the other books I’ve read lately.

Does The Nature Of Jade have things I don’t like? These are harder to find but I have yet to read a book that doesn’t contain anything I didn’t like. There’s always something, no matter how small. For this book, I’d have to say that I’m not entirely satisfied with the ending. The last part felt a little rushed and I wouldn’t have minded to read what happens after the plane lands. I don’t know, one more chapter would’ve made me really happy. But, this is only a very small part of the book – not an unimportant part, though.

Something else entirely, while reading, I came across many sentences I thought to be quote-worthy. I know for a fact that I’ll be reading this book again, if not only so I can find those quotes again and write them down.


View all my reviews

No comments: