Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wandering Minds


You know that feeling when you’re reading a book and your mind seems to take off on its own? I mean, when you’re reading and your minds goes faster than your eyes can read and you end up ‘expecting’ things to happen before they really do? And then when you read on and you realize you were wrong; the funny reply doesn’t come, the scene unravels in a different way? I hope this even makes sense…
Anyways, I LOVE when this happens. To me it’s a sign that I care about what will happen to the characters in the story. I’m interested, intrigued even, to find out what fate or life has in store for them.

Let me give you an example:
At this very moment -- or at least, until five minutes ago--  I was reading “Point Of Retreat” by Colleen Hoover and I experienced one of those above-mentioned moments. I was reading and my mind seemed to be a few lines ahead of my eyes and well, it caused me to laugh.

I’m going to keep this spoiler free, especially since it’s a sequel to another book and I don’t want to ruin it for you if you haven’t read the first book, “Slammed” by Colleen Hoover, yet.

In short: a boy and a girl are about to open a gift that the boy has been told to keep safe for a certain amount of time. When he’s finally allowed to hand it to the girl after all these months, and she looks at the wrapped box, I imagined her saying something along the lines of “I hope it’s not a dog” – after all, the box had been sitting around for a while. This was my funny reply but instead she said something else. I continued reading, all the while I thought about how I really had been convinced she’d make some funny remark about it better not being a dog. And then, turning to the next page (a page I hadn’t read yet – I swear) HE says – in reply to her question whether he knows what it is – “No clue? I’m hoping it’s not a puppy – it’s been under my bed for four months.”
This was funny! At least, I thought it was. I was also kind of ‘relieved’, in a way, that this line had been used in the book.Don't ask me why though...I'm weird like that haha

Anyways, I just felt like sharing this small piece of random info and now I’m off to continue reading the rest of the book!

Take care,
~Vicky

No comments: