Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1)Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I started reading this book a few days ago. I was at a 5-day-long festival and during the mornings there wasn't really anything else to do. The weather wasn't good at all, so I started reading this book. "Perfect Chemistry" had been on my to-read list for a while now and I decided it was the perfect time to give it a try.

At first I struggled a little with the present tense. I've always preferred to read stories in the past tense - for whatever reason that may be. But, soon I found that the characters had grown on me. I no longer cared about the tense...no, I just wanted to find out what would happen next. What Alex and Brittany's story would be like, how it would end.

What I loved about this story is the fact that because of the point of view changes between Alex' and Brittany's you had front row seats to their lives. As a reader you realize how they both have the wrong opinions, how their views are biased, based upon stereotypical thinking and rumors. And because of this, you also experience first hand how they struggle when they find out that the way they viewed the world and/or each other personally perhaps wasn't 100% correct.

Things I didn't like as much about this story were, like mentioned before, the present tense. Though, again, like mentioned before, the story sucked me right into it and I couldn't care any less about the used tenses. Something else that I didn't find quite as satisfying was the ending, the so-many-years-later part, because it was a bit abrupt in my opinion. Also, while reading the story, I felt like certain parts could use a little more explanation to be a little less confusing - but maybe that was only me.

For some reason it didn't take me long before I had an idea of who the person would be whom Alex was looking for, but I didn't find that annoying. If anything, I was curious to find out whether I'd be right, for once.

Over all, I found it a nice read. I'm not going to say it was my favorite book ever, but I definitely enjoyed reading it. It's one of those 'lighter' reads that deal with 'real life' problems and it was written in a realistic way. It was definitely worth a read and I'm pretty sure I'll be reading it again.





View all my reviews

No comments: