Saturday, July 23, 2011

Computer vs. Pen and Paper

Which do you prefer, typing or writing by hand?

Both ways have their pros and cons. But when it comes down to it, I usually write on my laptop but I prefer to write on paper.

When I use pen and paper, it seems easier to write. It’s motivating to see how much pages you’ve written already, though, when you type it on the computer afterwards, it’s rather depressing to find out that you didn’t write nearly as much as you previously thought. However, when you’re writing ‘'the old-fashioned way'’, you don’t have as much distractions. Plus, you can write anywhere you want without having to worry that your laptop’s battery might die.

Then again, when you write on a computer, you have immediate spell check and you don’t have to type it again later on, so it isn’t as time-consuming.  Yet, staring at a blank screen isn’t really motivating, and you get distracted oh-so easily; Facebook, Youtube, Wattpad and all those other sites are only one click away – which is awful for a person like me, someone who gets distracted by the simplest of things.

Sometimes, when I feel like I’m stuck, it helps to switch from typing on my laptop to writing in my notebook  and vice versa, just like putting my music on/off can help as well.

In short, I’m rather indecisive when it comes to answering this question. I can’t really choose one or the other. Basically, I write on my laptop when I intend to write bigger parts, whereas I use pen and paper when it’s only (part of) a scene, or simply a couple of lines or ideas that I don’t want to forget. 

No comments: